Skip to main content

2024 Houston Turkey Dash

Gobble Gobble!



So we have a running family!  I was pretty excited when we got the call from our oldest that she decided she wants to run the Aramco Half Marathon with us in January. My mind also immediately realized that she will be placed in a different Corral. So we took a look at the requirements for an "A" corral on a certified course:

Qualifying Time Standards for Front Corral Seeding
GenderAge GroupMarathonHalf Marathon10K10 Miler
Male & FemaleOPEN (all ages)4:00:001:52:550:51:081:25:06


I looked around online and found the Houston Turkey Dash put on by our friends over at the Houston Run Co. They have a 10k that was just USATF certified, so while she was on her Thanksgiving break we decided we would run the 10k and go for the qualifying time.

Race morning was pretty windy with a cold front that had just blown in that morning. I felt like from her training she would be able to nail a 7:50-8 min pace based on her past runs. Of course when the gun went off and I hit start on my Garmin, "Memory Full"! So we went off and I settled into what I felt like was a 7:50 pace and restarted my watch while running. We clicked through mile 1 at 7:30 and my watch fully restarted and we locked into 7:55 pace through the end with a 7:45 finish mile.

She did a great job and finished sub 7:50 pace and under the 10k time standard.


Just for fun, 23 years ago I ran with my Dad at the old Houston Turkey Trot 5k:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bike List

Ok, seems to be the thing, here are a couple buddies and my list of bikes: Adam's Bikes Brandon's Bikes My bike list 2001-2009: Dave Scott Ironman Centurion - Steel, Given to me by a friend, size 61! This bike started the craze! Litespeed Tuscany - Sweet Ti Love Litespeed Saber - Had to have more Ti Colnago Dream - This bike could turn on a dime! Awesome road race bike. Look AL Track bike - My love for the track has never faded Quintana Roo Zero Gravity - Funny ITU road bike Quintana Roo Lucero - First Sponsored Tri Bike, really nice carbon Litspeed Siena - Ti, never got to ride it enough Guru Veloci'Ti - Wow, beautiful paint Scott CR1 - Really stiff carbon Titus Racer X - One ride and moved on from the off road stuff, maybe someday again. RMS Sparrow -Fully Custom Ti Tri Bike, I ride what I love Cervelo Super Prodigy - Steel, sweet ride! Cannondale F4- Hardtail Mtn. Needed something for the trails and Muddy Buddy races Some Rush - Fixed gear, back to the track! Steel, ver...

2025 Otillo Austin Sprint SwimRun - Team Just Carry Me

  Back in May Chloe and I decided to take on the Otillo Austin Sprint Distance Swimrun event. I was able to talk her into it by showing her the cliff jump first. Nevermind the 2 hours of running and swimming required. She has had a good couple years of running, and was one a neighborhood championship meet qualifier for the 10 & under 25 yard breaststroke, so she will be fine. I also made the decision it was time to really try to become a better swimmer. Its less impact on my lower body and I always like to mix up my racing and training to become a better overall athlete. A swimrun was going to push my swim boundaries to the max. Barton Sprints Over the last few months we have been able to connect in Houston and Austin for some tethered swims. Each swim taught us something new. How to make a tether, where to place it for the swim, where to place it for the run, it can come untied or unclipped and how to just have fun. I even decided to customize our race wetsuits with PVC patch ...

Endurance Camp Update

Day 1 - 50 min run at Huntsville State Park, 9 runners, 9 different routes, 1 picked up in a car, 1 Dirt tasting session :) - 30 min swim in the lake, 1 muddy bottom Day 2 - 30 miles of hills - 30 min run - 40 mins of swimming pictures are here more to come!