Skip to main content

News and Update


So since the Austin Marathon I have been having some pretty sharp pain in my right Leg/Hip Socket Joint. I tried to run a couple times and the pain was pretty significant, so I gave it 3 weeks and thought all was better. I was in DC for work so I saw a 10k that looked like a run that would be fun. Plus I have never ran in DC, so what a great deal. I started the run pretty comfortable, and nothing felt off the first mile. The second mile I felt a little twinge. By mile 4 I was hurt. Miles 5 and 6 were a jog/walk hope trying to finish as quickly as possible without doing any more damage. Its kind of a catch-22, you want to finish really quick so the pain stops, but the quicker you go the more painful it is. I got back to Houston, gave it a week to heal and the pain did not go away. I went and had an x-ray and no stress fracture, but possibly a torn/strained hip flexor. I start PT on Monday and will give it another 4-6 weeks to see how it heals up. I have a check up with the Doc in 5 weeks. So no running, no biking, no climbing… only 1 thing that’s left, ugh, the pool. So I mustard up the courage today and went to the pool to swim. 30mins straight, and I still don’t miss a second of it. It is really great though to get a workout in, any kind. Maybe in a couple weeks I can get a green light and try some aqua jogging.
Some thoughts. I started running 1995 for Jr. High Track and Field and ran Track and Cross Country through High School and some in College. In College I picked up Cycling and began doing Duathlons, Road Races, Crits, Time Trials and racing at the velodrome, Triathlons where soon to follow. I did not have any injuries until 2002 when after competing in the World Duathlon Championships I raced the following week in an 8k cross country race, a Friday night Alkek Velodrome race, a Saturday night Superdrome race and a 5 person relay marathon that turned into my first marathon when nobody on the team showed up. 4 races in 8 days, not the brightest, but I was younger and indestructible, so I thought. I aggravated my IT band pretty good and had to take off 2-3 months and stick to weights and water aerobics. Yes funny, but it was fun too. Since then I have been smarter about my training and racing and have been fortunate to stay injury free. So now 7 yrs later I have an injury, that with time will heal and I will be back it at no time. Off to the pool!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Moonlight Ramble

Over the weekend Bike Houston put on a great event, the Midnight Moonlight Ramble . I had the pleasure of riding the 20 mile route with some good friends. The ride starts and finishes at the George R. Brown Convention Center and takes you through the Galleria area and down Memorial and Allen parkway for a scenic tour of Houston. By the way, the ride starts at 2 AM with the festivities beginning at midnight. The ride is for everybody, Hard Core Roadies, Nob heads, sub-culture messengers and families with tow-alongs. Pics of Team Moose . Thanks to Dakine for the Moose head!

Austin 20-Miler Marathon

So first, I did not finish, I pulled out at mile 20. I did not have it in me, so another day, another race. I am a bit disappointed, but I have learned a lot during the training. Thank you to all for the well wishes! The plan: Take the first 3 miles out with the 3 Hr pace group uphill and then use miles 4-7 downhill to make up a bit of time. Miles 8-11 get into a comfortable pace. Work up the hill at 11 and then rolling hills through 18. 19-26 are somewhat down hill so pick up a bit of speed heading back in. Take a gel every 4 miles, and 1 gel right at the start. Alternate between water and powerade at every water stop. I thought if I could get through the half around 1:29 I could run even or better the second half. Race Recap: Race morning was really nice, cool and windy. Temp was in the 40's and it looked to be overcast. The race started 15 mins late, that does not seem like much, but when you have nutrition and bathroom duties to take care of it can be a little problem. The rac

Imogene Pass Run

I broke the race up into 3 parts, the first 5.5 miles to lower camp bird, the next 4.5 miles to the summit and then 7 miles downhill to the finish. The first 5.5 miles are at gradients of 8-15% steep. I was able to jog portions and walk the steeper inclines. I made it to the lower camp bird, mile 5.45 in about 1 hour. That’s an average pace of 12 minute miles.  The next 2.2 miles took me nearly 50 mins, I reached Upper Camp Bird, mile 7.65 in 1:52:50. Heading on towards the summit, the next 2.35 miles took me another 57:50, making my final time to summit 2:50:41. Yes, that is an avg pace of 25 minute miles for 4.5 miles. The Summit is at 13,114 ft of elevation.  I descended the final 7 miles in 1:09:45, an average pace of 10 minute miles. I finished in 4:00:27!  My thoughts about the course. Its hard, period. You are going up a mountain and altitude. Lets be realistic, its hard, really, really hard. The views are incredible, the mountain can be wonderful or down right ugly if it ge