Skip to main content

Powerman Alabama

I Traveled to Birmingham, AL to compete in the first 2002 Duathlon World qualifier. I Competed in the 20-24 age group. The distances of the race were 8k run, 60k bike and then another 8k run. For those that only understand miles, 5 mile run, 37 mile bike and then another 5 mile run. I flew to Birmingham with my parents on the Friday before the race. Also on our plane was Jack Murray, a fellow ATC team member. Sat was spent putting the bike together and picking up my race packet and info. We drove the course to get a feel for things. The run was two loops around a dog race track. During the run there were two main climbs one at miles 1 and 3.5 and the other at miles 2 and 4.5. The bike was also two loops, however it did not have definite climbs. It was a long rollercoaster. The down hills last 1-5 miles and so did the up hills. It was possible to be going 27+ mphs for quite a time and then have to climb at 15-17 mph for twenty or so minutes. After the bike it was back out to the same run course. Race morning was great, the weather was upper 40’s, and very little humidity. My wave started 15 mins after the pro field. The first run went pretty smooth, I was feeling good, and went a little faster than I had planned, 31 mins vs. 32 mins. I hopped on my bike and began my 37 mile trek. The first loop wasn’t too bad, but the second lap started to hurt. I was definitely feeling that fast first run. I had the chain hop off once, a first so it was quite unusual. I finished the bike in 1hr and 45 mins, right around 21.5 mph. So on the second run came the tough part. I had now be at this for over two hours. I thought, man this is really a long race. My first two miles were pretty slow, I still haven’t conqured that bike to run transistion. My legs were pretty heavy. By the third mile I was in stride and my last two miles were flying, 5:40 mile pace. I finished in 2hrs, 52 mins and 23 secs. It was over. All in all I had a great race. That was the time I felt I was capable of doing and I did it! So now its on to Metroplex and then a nice break till late May when Triathlon season starts up. The Duathlon National Championship will be in July in Carlsbad, CA so that’s my next BIG race. It is also the final qualifier for the US World Duathlon Team. So I have some work ahead of me. Full results

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Moonlight Ramble

Over the weekend Bike Houston put on a great event, the Midnight Moonlight Ramble . I had the pleasure of riding the 20 mile route with some good friends. The ride starts and finishes at the George R. Brown Convention Center and takes you through the Galleria area and down Memorial and Allen parkway for a scenic tour of Houston. By the way, the ride starts at 2 AM with the festivities beginning at midnight. The ride is for everybody, Hard Core Roadies, Nob heads, sub-culture messengers and families with tow-alongs. Pics of Team Moose . Thanks to Dakine for the Moose head!

Austin 20-Miler Marathon

So first, I did not finish, I pulled out at mile 20. I did not have it in me, so another day, another race. I am a bit disappointed, but I have learned a lot during the training. Thank you to all for the well wishes! The plan: Take the first 3 miles out with the 3 Hr pace group uphill and then use miles 4-7 downhill to make up a bit of time. Miles 8-11 get into a comfortable pace. Work up the hill at 11 and then rolling hills through 18. 19-26 are somewhat down hill so pick up a bit of speed heading back in. Take a gel every 4 miles, and 1 gel right at the start. Alternate between water and powerade at every water stop. I thought if I could get through the half around 1:29 I could run even or better the second half. Race Recap: Race morning was really nice, cool and windy. Temp was in the 40's and it looked to be overcast. The race started 15 mins late, that does not seem like much, but when you have nutrition and bathroom duties to take care of it can be a little problem. The rac

Imogene Pass Run

I broke the race up into 3 parts, the first 5.5 miles to lower camp bird, the next 4.5 miles to the summit and then 7 miles downhill to the finish. The first 5.5 miles are at gradients of 8-15% steep. I was able to jog portions and walk the steeper inclines. I made it to the lower camp bird, mile 5.45 in about 1 hour. That’s an average pace of 12 minute miles.  The next 2.2 miles took me nearly 50 mins, I reached Upper Camp Bird, mile 7.65 in 1:52:50. Heading on towards the summit, the next 2.35 miles took me another 57:50, making my final time to summit 2:50:41. Yes, that is an avg pace of 25 minute miles for 4.5 miles. The Summit is at 13,114 ft of elevation.  I descended the final 7 miles in 1:09:45, an average pace of 10 minute miles. I finished in 4:00:27!  My thoughts about the course. Its hard, period. You are going up a mountain and altitude. Lets be realistic, its hard, really, really hard. The views are incredible, the mountain can be wonderful or down right ugly if it ge