Skip to main content

Try Kyles (Andys) Tri

So first a little history. 

Try Andys Tri was one of the first triathlons I did. It was also one of the most well know triathlons in the Houston area that was great for first timers, beginners and those looking for a fun event.

Andy Steward put this race on for years. During the years I worked at Sugar Land Finish Line sports, I got to see both what it takes to put on an event, before and after the internet changed the way triathletes sign up and register. I also saw the time it takes to not only put on the event, but to prepare ahead of time to have a safe and fun triathlon.

So it was great to that Kyle has taken over the event and continued its legacy!  So 22 years later I was able to complete one of the first triathlons I did.

This version was slightly longer, a 500 meter lake swim, about 12 miles of biking and a 3 mile run.

<iframe src='https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/embed/11522321428' title='Sugar Land Multisport' width='465' height='598' frameborder='0'></iframe>

Overall Results

The swim was warm and a bit murky. I never got into a rhythm and was out of touch with the swim pack.



I had a decent T1 and headed out on the bike. I was lucky there was about 3 of us that kept our distance but worked to keep the tempo up and moving on the bike. It was fun to see some people I raced with 20+ years ago and to be back out on the course together. I didn't have the same bike legs I once had, but was happy overall with my bike time. The course is relatively flat and fast. there are a couple u-turns that you do have slow down for. 

T2 was good, but I also learned a new USAT rule. You must keep your helmet buckled in Transition until your bike is racked. Back in the day I would unclip my helmet as soon as I entered the transition area while I ran with my bike. That is a no-no now. So the friendly  USAT judge stopped me on my way out for a simple "stand down" penalty and then off I was on to the run.



The run was a slog. Twice this year I have twisted both ankles and haven't really gotten any good training in, with 2 months off at different times. The run felt it and my time showed it. I averaged 7:13 pace vs last year I was averaging 6:30 pace. So I have a WAY to go.



Highlights were seeing so many familiar faces both volunteering, spectating and racing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Moonlight Ramble

Over the weekend Bike Houston put on a great event, the Midnight Moonlight Ramble . I had the pleasure of riding the 20 mile route with some good friends. The ride starts and finishes at the George R. Brown Convention Center and takes you through the Galleria area and down Memorial and Allen parkway for a scenic tour of Houston. By the way, the ride starts at 2 AM with the festivities beginning at midnight. The ride is for everybody, Hard Core Roadies, Nob heads, sub-culture messengers and families with tow-alongs. Pics of Team Moose . Thanks to Dakine for the Moose head!

Austin 20-Miler Marathon

So first, I did not finish, I pulled out at mile 20. I did not have it in me, so another day, another race. I am a bit disappointed, but I have learned a lot during the training. Thank you to all for the well wishes! The plan: Take the first 3 miles out with the 3 Hr pace group uphill and then use miles 4-7 downhill to make up a bit of time. Miles 8-11 get into a comfortable pace. Work up the hill at 11 and then rolling hills through 18. 19-26 are somewhat down hill so pick up a bit of speed heading back in. Take a gel every 4 miles, and 1 gel right at the start. Alternate between water and powerade at every water stop. I thought if I could get through the half around 1:29 I could run even or better the second half. Race Recap: Race morning was really nice, cool and windy. Temp was in the 40's and it looked to be overcast. The race started 15 mins late, that does not seem like much, but when you have nutrition and bathroom duties to take care of it can be a little problem. The rac

Imogene Pass Run

I broke the race up into 3 parts, the first 5.5 miles to lower camp bird, the next 4.5 miles to the summit and then 7 miles downhill to the finish. The first 5.5 miles are at gradients of 8-15% steep. I was able to jog portions and walk the steeper inclines. I made it to the lower camp bird, mile 5.45 in about 1 hour. That’s an average pace of 12 minute miles.  The next 2.2 miles took me nearly 50 mins, I reached Upper Camp Bird, mile 7.65 in 1:52:50. Heading on towards the summit, the next 2.35 miles took me another 57:50, making my final time to summit 2:50:41. Yes, that is an avg pace of 25 minute miles for 4.5 miles. The Summit is at 13,114 ft of elevation.  I descended the final 7 miles in 1:09:45, an average pace of 10 minute miles. I finished in 4:00:27!  My thoughts about the course. Its hard, period. You are going up a mountain and altitude. Lets be realistic, its hard, really, really hard. The views are incredible, the mountain can be wonderful or down right ugly if it ge